Friday, June 22, 2012

Learn Your Lipids....









This morning after a 15 hour fast I had my Lipid Panel (Cholesterol, Triglycerides, LDL, and HDL) checked.  I collect these labs every-other year just to keep myself on track.  I also have a family history of high cholesterol so it sure does not hurt to keep things real.  When I was in graduate school I used to be a guinea pig for all the health fairs.. and get my cholesterol checked like every 4 months it seemed. I also had high cholesterol during my graduate school years... (possibly due to the excessive beer we consumed to maintain a 4.0 GPA and maintain our sanity... or the late night runs to taco bell.. because there was nothing else to eat in the middle of no-where.

Over the past few years.. I have successfully brought my cholesterol down 70-80pts, along with my LDL level.  It could be due to the fact I eat everything from the ocean, and have essentially avoided alcohol over the past year (except on a few occasions)... as I have found that getting up on the weekends feeling good is worth a million dollars, than sipping Gatorade and nursing a hang-over at my age.

If you are looking to reduce your cholesterol there are a few key foods that may help you along the way (ps. don't forget to exercise as well)...

1.  Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a soluble fiber, which reduces your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the "bad" cholesterol. Soluble fiber is also found in such foods as kidney beans, apples, pears, barley and prunes.
Soluble fiber can reduce the absorption of cholesterol into your bloodstream.
Pinned Image
via pinterest
 2.  Fish (Omega 3-Fatty Acids)
Try eating these types of fish....
  • Mackerel
  • Lake trout
  • Herring
  • Sardines
  • Albacore tuna
  • Salmon
  • Halibut
Pinned Image
via pinterest

3.  Walnuts, and other nuts
Rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, walnuts also help keep blood vessels healthy, but keep in mind to eat in moderation.  I LOVE walnuts, especially in my oatmeal.  Living in California.. we have access to some of the best walnuts!!!

Pinned Image


I urge you all to check your cholesterol (blood lipid profile) to obtain a baseline.. and then start making the necessary changes in your diet to get back on track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment