Saturday, March 3, 2012

28 Days to Break A Habit....

So many of you are probably wondering what this blog is going to be about. I can assure you there will be humor, some potential obscenity, and mild discomfort, but this purpose of this is to investigate if the body can really change in 28 days, and reach that unbelievable "Euphoria" that is promised in this upcoming challenge.    When I first signed up for this challenge, I was only going to tell a few select people, but that turned into telling a few friends, then mom and dad.. then my co-workers, and now the world. 

As a Registered Dietitian, we usually cringe when we hear our clients tell us about the crash diet they went on.. or how they have been mixing grapefruit juice with cayenne pepper to lose weight.   But this recent "lifestyle change" has became quite a popular topic among alot of you, and our fellow clients out here in California.   What I am referring to as this "lifestyle change" is also known as the 28 Day Cleanse... that will change your life.  That's right... it is going to change my life.  I say that with sarcasm as me and my friend (also an RD with a post graduate degree) is joining me in this "lifestyle change".   The day we attended our first meeting regarding this potential challenge we had about 3 million questions.  (We asked for research to back up the claims, we questioned EVERY single step of the cleanse, we even went as far as asking the poor representative how she makes her six figures.  Yep.. Dietitians can be a complete pain in the butt.. but that's our nature.  

So... one week later... here we  are standing in the office for our first meeting, getting our pictures taken (like the Biggest Loser) and measurements taken.   We stood on a scale like our clients/patients do.. and strip down and gripe about how much our jeans weigh.. "oh wait.. my shoes weight 5lbs".  I will now OBSESS I mean observe over the next few weeks on my refrigerator.. such items as my body weight, body fat, visceral fat, physique rate, and metabolic age.  We will weigh in every week, take measurements, and meet as a group to discuss this 28 Day Challenge... and how much we miss wine and pasta. 

Here is a list of the following items which will be OMITTED from my diet.... and I am not excited.....
No beef, veal and pork (except occasional grass fed beef, max 1/week)

 Only cage-free eggs (max 6/week)

 No dairy

No gluten (wheat, rye, oat, barley, spelt or kamut), buckwheat is ok

 No yeast promoting foods (bread, cracker, vinegar, alcohol, fruit juice, dried fruit)

 No processed foods

 No sugar and artificial sweeteners (e.g. Sucralose, Splenda, Nutrasweet, aspartame and saccharine); Stevia and Xylitol are ok.

 Try to avoid synthetic medicine (headache, cold etc)

 No coffee

 No processed soy products (soy milk, soy processed "meats", etc)

Lastly,  I am urged to try to be in bed by 10:00PM every night!!  If you told me this a year ago.. I would of not been able to do this... but with my new work schedule this month.. I have to be up and at it by 5:00AM... so this should be a breeze! 


So what does a Dietitian do the night before a cleanse??  This is what we do.....



Now I am off to throw away all the "toxic" foods in my cupboards.. and get REAL.

Disclosure:  I will not be disclosing which "Cleanse" program I will be using until the end of this blog, on day 28. 

1 comment:

  1. This is gonna rock the nutrition and blog world. So excited for your journey - know I will be here to encourage and support in all ways (except I will never, ever, ever quit coffee, but I promise I won't talk about it)

    Proud of you Kim!

    ReplyDelete