Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 21

Hello Day 21... I have been waiting for you, as this is the day from here on out.. that I will officially have trained my body to eat clean, and make wise food choices for the remainder of my life.   Amen. 
Okay.. this is not realistic.. as I do want my social life back.. I want  to wine taste up in Napa, eat cheese by the block, and drink beer at the Gastropub here in town that I recently discovered with friends.   So there....

So I want to introduce you to a guy that I am very fond of (see picture below)


This is Walter Willett (or as I call him Walt).  Here is a quick little intro to him.. thanks to Wikipedia:
Walter Willett, MD, DrPH., is an American physician and nutrition researcher. Currently, Willett is the Fredrick John Stare Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition, and Chair of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. He is also a Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.[2] 

When I was a graduate student back at Ball State University collaborating research for my masters thesis.. I needed to design a tool that I could measure the male and female triathletes habitual food intake before, during, and after a half-ironman triathlon.   Walter Willett which of whom has happened to have facilitated several big studies during the course of his career.. and I knew he might be able to provide me guidance with my research.. so I did something sort of crazy.. and I contacted "Walt" via email.. at Harvard.  This would be like emailing Oprah and asking her if it would be ok if she helped me out with a few school loan payments.  Total shot in the dark.. but worth a try!   I emailed Dr. Willett and requested permission to use his semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire in my thesis.. and also asked him if this tool would be useful, yada.. yada.. yada.  Low and behold... after about a week... I arrived at my office one morning.. and guess who responded back to me... there it was.. in my inbox... a response from Dr. Walter Willett from Harvard University.   The email was short.. but he had given me permission and guidance to utilize this tool in my research.  I am forever grateful to Dr. Willett  for responding back to me.. and allowing me to complete my research.    He also wrote this book....
This past week.. there was an excellent article in the LA Times regarding the red meat debate and Walter Willett answered a few of my questions.. once again.    Check out this article....

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-five-questions-walter-willett-20120324,0,4545134.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Ffeatures%2Fhealth+%28L.A.+Times+-+Health%29

I am feeling really good today.. energy level is back up.. and spent almost 2 hours with my cleanse group this morning talking about our aches and GI pains (which are gone)... as well as our cravings.   I then went to Sprouts to pick up some almonds, Swiss chard for my shakes, and I also spent $$$$ on a liquid form of Fish Oil.. that is supposedly more readily absorbed.  I was telling a friend recently that I probably smell like the ocean with all the Kale, and fish oil I am taking.   The more money you pay.. the better quality.. and less likely you will burp up fish oil.. or smell like the ocean.  Keep that in mind. 

Cheers to another week of the cleanse.... and drinking green sludge for breakfast which I delicately concoct everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Dislclaimer: I am still going to eat red meat despite what Harvard Unversity says... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete