Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 25


Over the past 2 years.. Eggs and I have had a love hate relationship.  Not from a nutritional standpoint but resulting from a food documentary I watched by the name of this:


On a side note.. I spend a great deal of my time reading and researching the area of food safety and sanitation.. and I also inspect kitchens as part of my job as a consultant. Just ask my friends.. they know I will not touch a buffet, a lemon wedge, or salad that has sat out greater than 2 hours.  I have gained a great deal of knowledge on food safety and sanitation from food inspectors, my former boss, and chefs in the field.  Unfortunately after watching Food, Inc.. I could no longer stomach the thought of chicken or eggs for almost a year.  I now only purchase cage free eggs, and free range chicken.  I know it is much more expensive.. but it gives me a piece of mind.. and the smell is much more appealing to me when I open the package or carton.  
Do you want this....
or would you prefer this...


I have since regained my appetite for eggs.. and will forever stand by the incredible.. edible egg.  Eggs have amazing health benefits... and should not be overlooked.  I just finished reading an article by Liz Applegate, Ph.D who writes for Runners World magazine.  Her article was egg-cellent!! :)   A study conducted on dieters who had eggs for breakfast achieved a 60 percent greater weight loss compared to those who began their day with a calorie-equivalent bagel.  I completely agree with this... as I have been incorporating eggs(Cage Free) into my breakfast routine.. and have noticed I eat considerably less at lunch.. and feel satisfied for most of the morning.   I always hear ... "But what about my cholesterol??".  Why yes.. there is cholesterol in an egg.. but recent research debunks that theory that eggs are linked to heart disease.  A matter a fact... there is a unique protein in the egg that blocks blood platelets from clumping together (according to Liz Applegate).  I am not saying you should eat 5 eggs a day.. but eggs through out the week is acceptable.  On a side note:  try mixing 1 egg with egg whites instead to give it a little more volume.. and satiety. 

Alright.. we are on the downward spiral.. and I officially have 3 days left on my cleanse...the hard part is over.  The biggest challenge will be adding foods back in.. and also maintaining my healthy habits.  Wait a minute.. I am a dietitian.. I was already eating healthy :)  Don't let a dietitian fool you.. we are human as well.. and we make ALL foods fit.  Except for those few dietitians who ruin it for the rest of us.   I will officially weigh myself on Saturday and take my measurements... we will see if all of this is worth it.  

Till tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment