Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 18 & 19

Sorry for the double post.. but I have been pulling 12 hour days.. and life is not so great right now.  But keeping my head up high.. and doing the exercises Dr. Weil (from Spontaneous Happiness) mentioned in his book.  (Great book by the way)

I had mentioned earlier (15 days ago or so) that I would speak briefly on my favorite supplement that I have been taking religiously for the past 2 years.. and have had extraordinary results from.   This supplement would be Fish Oil.  Fish Oil has been in the news ALOT this past year or so.. mainly due to the fact that it has several anti-inflammatory properties.. and with research to back it up!!  Omega-3 fatty acids are also emerging as an effective therapy for mood disorders, depression and bipolar disorder.   It just so happened I read an article recently in "Today's Dietitian" regarding the effect Omega-3's had on mood disorders.  It is fascinating to me that fish oils (Omega-3's) can clearly help with depression.. while also have the same effect on the body as Ibuprofen.  I am a firm believer in this supplement.. as I have a story to share.    About 2 years ago.. I was training for a half-marathon.. and was overcome with injury after injury... I then started taking around 2-3g of Fish Oil a day... and I started to notice my body was not aching anymore.. and my plantar fasciitis ( inflammation) seemed to have gone away.  Not to mention... my cholesterol dropped 50pts!   Then..over the course of this past year I went through a significant life transition and started taking my fish oil again religiously (2-3g/day).. and noticed a very... almost strange calmness in my mood... cannot explain it... but it was an amazing change of my overall well being.  The current recommendation by the American Heart Association is 2 or more servings of fatty fish per week, which works out to be 500mg a day.  I am taking a shade higher than the average bear... due to the fact I read alot.. and have found that I am benefiting from the current amount I am taking.   Always consult your MD first before taking fish oil, especially if you are already on statins, or other medications that may counteract.   But for the most part.. the average healthy adult will be safe around 1-2g of fish oil a day.  Here is a great reference article as well
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html

I am going to let you in on a really well known fact.. that will help you when purchasing your fish oils or any supplements for that matter.... first.. take a look at this bottle below:
On the right just below the words Fish Oil on the bottle... do you see that little USP sign in the yellow circle?  Well that is a very important seal.. that I always look for when purchasing supplements.  The United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide.  I also interview pharmacists in alot of stores I go into.. and have collected my very own list of reputable brands of vitamins and minerals that I use.   I will let you in on another great resource to check on your current supplements that you may be taking.  The website is www.consumerlabs.com   This is an EXCELLENT resource, as they test most brand name supplements on the market.. and will provide a really informative report to see if your supplement passed the test.  You will have to pay a small fee to join.. or you can be a member as well.  I have used this website a great deal... as I am almost OCD when it comes to supplements and where they were produced and tested.  

During this cleanse.. I started taking flax seed and my fish oils to help with the aching.. as I go through the cleansing cycle.  I am approaching day 19.. and wondering if I will have formed a solid habit by day 21.. as most literature will tell you.  We will see...


Mind, Body & Spirit:  My mood is MUCH better today... and did not yawn once!!! 
Weight:  The Same :)    (must of been that filipino soup I had for lunch.. I could not resist)   

On a funny note:  I just got off the phone with my dad back in Nebraska.. and asked him if he could pick up some Gluten free bread for me .. for Easter.. he said "What is Lutten free bread?"  Can hardly wait to get home.....

No comments:

Post a Comment