Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 20

So today I worked in the San Jose area, and had a chance to spend some quality time with a fellow Dietetic intern from San Jose state.  I brought my lunch to her desk... and she started looking at my food and asked me what I was eating.   I went on to tell her that I was on day 20 of my "Cleanse" and her jaw dropped.  She was shocked that I would talk part in such a thing... but I told her about my hypothesis and challenge to myself.  Then went on to tell her how much I have learned by simply eating clean.. and studying food more so than I have my entire life.   We talked about the grass fed beef debate, toxins in the body and how they are removed.  I have even started to bring enough food with me as I always have a few peeps who want to try my "Science Experiment" of a lunch.  This particular item has been a hit for my RD friends who I eat with.. and they are ridiculously addictive
You can find them at Trader Joe's;  20 Chips = 140kcal, 6 g of Fat.  Ingredients:  Plantains, sunflower oil and salt.  That's it... so they are pretty healthy in a (unprocessed kind of way). 
I also realized that I had ran out of my detox tea... so I went over to Sprouts and picked up Organic Roasted Dandelion Root Caffeine Free Herbal Tea.  Which claims to promote healthy liver function.  I also did some research on dandelion last night.. and came up with this.

According to the University of Maryland Medical Center: Dandelion is a rich source of vitamins A, B complex, C, and D, as well as minerals such as iron, potassium, and zinc.  So far, there have not been any good quality scientific studies on dandelion. Today, the roots are mainly used as an appetite stimulant, and for liver and gallbladder problems. Dandelion leaves are used as a diuretic to help the body get rid of excess fluid.
Did I read that right?? Used as an appetite stimulant??  Hold the phone.. I sure as heck have no trouble enticing myself to eat.  So we may have to go easy on the dandelion root. Or else...


But dandelion also has alternative names as well I learned .. such as:  Lion's tooth; Priest's crown; Swine's snout; Taraxacum officinale.  Seriously... where did this ever originate? 

So anyway... we are now approaching day 21... and I am curious if the saying is true "It takes 21 days to form a habit"... we will see about that. 

More on this tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment