Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 16

This past weekend I had signed up for a 5K Race here in my hometown and ended up sleeping through the whole darn thing Sunday morning.  Oops!  Seriously.. I do not even care.. as it was raining.. the wind was blowing.. excuses.. excuses.   I decided to drink my detox tea..  and watch "My Strange Addictions".   This show is out of hand... people who drink their own urine, one lady sniffed moth balls, another guy made out with his car. 

Meanwhile.. back on the ranch, I am going to talk about Almond vs Soy Milk this evening.  A quick fun fact I bet you did not all know.. is that I served as an intern for the Nebraska Soybean Board back in 1997 for about 1 year.  Yes.. I was that person who had the little demo set up at the grocery store.. wearing my UGLY denim shirt that the soybean board made me wear.  I also had a few radio segments during my stint as an intern.. which I would be horrified to hear now.  During those days.. I can remember when soy was all over the news.. and still is.. regarding all it's health benefits.  Soy has became a popular alternative to those who cannot tolerate cows milk.  Soy milk is high in  protein, and has more fiber than cows milk.  Downside is that it is lower in Calcium, but manufacturers have started adding calcium to their products.   Here is a popular brand that I have found and grown to love..
Soymilk unfortunately has taken a bit of bad rap recently over the years with mixed research out there.  It has been said...yet not confirmed, that soy milk has been suspected for reducing male fertility and sperm count. Soy sterol may interfere with progesterone production during pregnancy, Soy sterol may potentially counteract the effects of chemo and tamoxifen therapy. I recently attended a seminar and the take home message I received regarding soy... is that the research is still variably mixed.  (So there you go Soybean Board...I still have your back until proven otherwise). 

Unfortunately due to time.. I am going to have to talk about Almond Milk tomorrow instead.... stay tuned!!

STATS:
I have nothing to report....

No comments:

Post a Comment