Monday, September 17, 2012

Spin Class and Such..


via answerisfitness
 I recently attended a spin class here in the Denver metro.  I had not been to a spin class since 2001.  I completely forgot how hard this class was.. and also how much I would sweat!  This seriously was the best work-out I had participated in... in a long time.  It also does not help that I am not in my twenties anymore.. and indestructible.  Of course the one thing that went through my mind was.. how many calories am I burning?  Am I dying??  Will I be able to walk tomorrow?  I decided to go to the world-wide-web and find out.  Here is what I found...

The number of calories you'll burn depends on a number of factors, including your weight and the intensity at which you exercise. Research [Adobe PDF] indicates that on average, participants burn about 400–600 calories in a 40-minute workout. The "distance" traveled depends on cadence; however as an estimate, an average 40-minute class at a cadence of 80–110 rpm is equivalent to approximately 15–20 miles on the road.

I then started thinking about nutrition and cycling... which I had not thought about since I conducted research for my masters thesis on triathletes. 

According to Livestrong.com... (I figured they should know a thing or two about nutrition and cycling) this article by Deborah Dunham had some good tidbits about cycling and nutrition.  

Before Your Ride

Unless you are riding a short distance at an easy pace, it's difficult to bike in the morning on an empty stomach. You need to get your blood sugar up for energy and you need calories for your body to burn as fuel. One to two hours before your ride, have a light, high-carbohydrate meal. Toast with peanut butter, yogurt, a banana and whole wheat cereal are good choices.


During Your Ride

If you are riding longer than 2 hours, you will need to consume some calories, carbs and electrolytes or you may "hit the wall" when your glycogen stores are used up. Bring along sports drinks, GU, sports beans or other healthy snacks such as fig cookies, bananas or energy bars. About every 15 to 20 minutes, consume some liquid, and about every 45 minutes a snack. For rides shorter than 2 hours, water is usually sufficient

After Your Ride

Refuel within the "glycogen recovery window" of 10 to 15 minutes, when your body needs nutrients to repair muscle tissue and replace glycogen stores. Consume a mix of carbs and protein. Eggs, wheat toast, protein shakes, low-fat chocolate milk, yogurt, a smoothie with fruit or a turkey sandwich are all good choices. If you will not be home within a few minutes after your ride, keep a cooler in your car. Eating immediately will alleviate muscle soreness and fatigue that you might experience later in the day.

How many of you incorporate spin class or cycling into your exercise regimen.. and what have you found works well with your pre and post nutrition plan?  Inquiring minds want to know..




.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment