Saturday, November 20, 2010

Zen and Now


How does one reach a state of Zen? Our day to day lives are filled with stress and chaos and it seems as though we are never really able to unwind at night. I have spent countless hours reading up on how to live a stress free life, eat healthier and master the art of Feng Shui. I honestly feel that your home should be your place to wind down. A motivational speaker by the name of Gail Blanke who is also the founder of Throwoutfiftythings.com explains that "When you walk through the front door of your home, you should feel as though you are stepping into a clearing." I agree with this.. as I have even went as far as getting the right "plug-in" that gives that energizing aroma so when I walk through my door it smells like Pottery Barn when I enter. Living a stress-free life is not about spending money or turning your house into that featured in a Feng Shui guide. Blanke explains "Its about revealing the good stuff and being free of the anything that weighs you down."

The first thing you can do is create a happy zone, whether it's your living room, office or bedroom. Make sure this place does not have lingering bills, papers, and to-do-lists hanging around that you may see that could cause additional stress. Secondly, make your bed everyday. "The state of your bed reflects the state of your head". says Zen Buddhist priest and author Karen Maezen Miller.

Lastly, before you go to bed or leave in the morning develop a healing mind-set. This may be through meditation, prayer or exercise. I have started to research itunes for podcasts that I listen to in the morning, or at night on the drive home. Another approach I have found to be quite soothing at night is "White Noise" playing in the background while I try to drift off. There are several ways to reach a State of Zen without using alot of resources. What is your daily ritual or happy place?

No comments:

Post a Comment