Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ceviche....Cebiche....or is it Seviche?


This past weekend I had the honor of trying my first bite of Ceviche, which is a popular seafood dish in the coastal regions of the Americas, Central and South America, and the Philippines.  I have experienced alot of great food in my life... but how did I miss out on this popular dish?   The dish is typically made from fresh raw fish marinated in citrus juices such as lemon or lime and various spices.  Most importantly, the dish is not cooked with heat, it must be prepared fresh to minimize the risk of food poisoning (maybe that is why I avoided it.. as you know my fear of food poisoning).   Ceviche is marinated usually in a citrus-based mixture, with lemons and limes being the most commonly used.  The citric acid causes the proteins in the seafood to become denatured. Traditional style ceviche is marinated for about 3 hours....so there you have it!!  This picture does not do justice.. but the yellow fruit in the picture mixed with the ceviche is mango... and what a beautiful combination. 


Here is a picture of the beautiful dish of Ceviche we experienced this past weekend.
Did I mention.. that while we were eating this at the beach front restaurant... guess what happened on the water in front of us....


A group of whales jumped out of the ocean...and of course we freaked out.. but kept on drinking.. as this was a monumental day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment