Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fifty Shades of Farmers Market

I usually spend my Saturday mornings at a local farmers market, I absolutely love going early so I can get up front and spend time at each booth looking over the produce and asking questions.  Out here if you go too late.. you are doomed. 

I usually have a list of my favorite items I like to pick up and I will show you just a few of those...

I like to pick up farm fresh eggs from a local farmer in Sonoma, there is something about a cage-free animal running around the farm that I feel much better about.  My grandmother also used to purchase fresh farm eggs from a local lady where we could actually see the chicken's and hens running around ourselves. 
Check out this blog I found regarding "The Beauty of Farm-Fresh Eggs"
http://www.simplebites.net/the-beauty-of-farm-fresh-eggs-and-how-to-source-them/

Fresh Hass Avocado's from California...it's the reason for the season.  Oh.. how I love avocado's... seriously...I never had one till I was 18 years old... how sad!!
Here is another great resource to learn more about the Hass Avocado: http://www.avocadocentral.com/foodservice

Fresh Tomatoes... ahhhh yesss!! I just cut them up and eat them with black pepper.. but actually I prefer to eat this...

Caprese Salad... ( I love this salad so much... I can hardly talk about it).   I found a great recipe on the Pioneer Woman Blog that I urge you to all try
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/caprese-salad/

Next up (and don't laugh)... this appreciation goes way back to the days of the school lunch's I used to eat, and it is wax beans.....the cooks in my school used to make a great deal of the food  (in my tiny little K-12 student population of 120) from scratch.  The cheesy-wax green beans...were my favorite. 


And then.. my new snack item
English Peas.... LOVE THESE!!!!
Alright...moving on to the next booth I stop by is "Sister Sara's" she is the nicest lady... and I love supporting her business.   I have an addiction to beets... anything beets.  I could even drink beet juice.. no lie! I love a great beet salad with goat cheese.... but I also love pickled beets.  
Lastly.. I usually end my farmers market rounds with a nice beautiful bouquet of flowers.. this bundle of pollen was only $6.00!!  Unfortunately I am now sneezing and may have to take them to a friend.. as it maybe allergy overload for me.   What is up with this? I have never had allergies up until this year??
Have a great week......

No comments:

Post a Comment