Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Gluten for Punishment??



I am quite amazed how many of my patients in their late 70's and 80's are turning to a gluten-free diet these days.  I will admit it seems to be the latest rage in the past few years with a great deal of celebrities promoting the diet along with various health practitioners as well.  If you are just stumbling across my blog.. then you have missed out on my previous entries regarding my 28 day experiment where I eliminated gluten from my diet.  Believe it or not but speciality grocery stores are catering completely to those seeking out a gluten-free lifestyle.  I found it practically easy to go gluten-free... and still continue to eat gluten free bread and cookies as I have found them to be tasty... but not low in kcal's and fat.  A recent report on gluten-free products in the US estimated the US market for gluten-free foods and beverages to exceed 5 billion dollars by 2015. (1.)  

During my month long hiatus from gluten, I did not really notice any overall euphoria that some clients report when eliminating gluten from their diet.   In my opinion I felt as though I was restricting myself from all the beneficial B Vitamins you can find in whole grains.. not to mention the added health benefits.  Honestly I believe people are mis-informed, and are under the impression that a gluten free diet will cause weight loss. At this time.. there is not one.. single... solitary bit of scientific evidence that will support the idea of gluten free diet promoting weight loss and I went to the horses mouth (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics).  A matter a fact... check the nutrition facts for yourself.. and do the math next time you are shopping.

I found that my weight loss may have resulted during this time due to the fact that I was not eating as much bread, pasta and carbs possibly.. or felt limited to what I could consume.. so I would end up eating more vegetables in it's place.  Did you hear that... I was eating more vegetables.. which may have satisfied me more in the long run. and kept me from overeating. 

When my clients or patients come to me and tell me that they are following a gluten free lifestyle.. I usually inquire as to why they chose this lifestyle, and then remind them to make sure to eat foods that make up for the possible iron, folate, niacin, zinc, and fiber deficit they may or may not experience with their current dietary practices.   I then tell them to carry on... if this is what makes them feel better.. and support their goals along the way.  If you would like to know more about following a gluten-free diet... or you have been recently diagnosed with celiac disease then you are in luck.. as there are hundreds and thousands  of great blogs and websites on gluten free living!   


1)  Packaged Facts.  Gluten Free Foods and Beverages in the U.S., 3rd Edition.  Rockville MD:  Packaged Fats; 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment