Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fun With The Farmers



One thing about living in California that I enjoy are the year round farmers markets.  I LOVE to visit with the local farmers, and discover new fruits and vegetables that I have never prepared in my life. 
One of my favorite farmers markets is here in Pleasanton, CA, not only is their downtown from a story book, but this market brings out the best of the best.
When I am shopping at the farmers markets... there are always a few select things I consistently pick up.. and they are almonds (fresh), English peas, beets, various lettuces, and flowers.  But recently I discovered a booth where they were making fresh Indian Samosas and I cannot get enough of these!!!
Samosas are a popular Indian appetizer, street food, or tiffin (light lunch). If you are not familiar with what a Samosa is, it is similar to pastry such as fried empanada (popular in rural area) with spicy boiled potato stuffing inside crispy flour dough served with spicy chutney.  I introduced them to my mom when she was visiting out here in August.  She LOVED them....

Another item I have fallen in love with is rainbow chard (Weird??)... no... it's super healthy!

I am also embarrassed to say that I have never prepared this item in my kitchen before.. but found some great recipes in my Real Simple magazine and studied up on what to look for when purchasing them.. and gave them a whirl.  Hello Turnips...


After I finished with the farmers... I carried on over to my favorite grocery store.  I am seriously ADDICTED to this place.. and may always have to live in a location that has this store.   It is Sprouts!

I especially love perusing the supplement section... you can find anything.. for any type of ailment from foot fungus, hangnails, itchy skin, PMS, oh.. and hangovers...

Today I am going shopping for fresh ginger.... to make my own detox tea (I am going to use that word freely here in this blog, as it is enticing to people)  It is kind of like posting a recipe and saying "These magic beets will save your life"...Anways....here is a recipe I found on my favorite blog:  http://lindawagner.net/blog/

Here is a fun and easy recipe I found on her blog...
  • 1/2 inch knob of ginger sliced thinly or grated

  • lemon

  • Stevia to taste

  • Simply pour boiling water over the ginger, let steep for about 5mins then add lemon juice and stevia to taste.
    I absolutely love ginger.. and knowing all the health benefits (fights inflammation).. it's going to always be a part of my life.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment